My Hijab Story

My hijab story began in 2012, turn back the clock to the first day of my college, I asked my aunty which was better to put on hijab or not? She said wearing a hijab was more appropriate at the campus. So I listened to her and days went normally because at high school I also wore a hijab as part of a Muslimah uniform. So it didn't mean that I was a religious person rather it was habitual to wore a hijab.

Time went flies, there was a moment when a Muslim organization organized a Masjid miniature competition. Because no group registered yet, Ana, some of my friends (Dea and Aulia), and I decided to join that competition. We collected and bought everything needed at the nearest store and then gathered in Dea's house to finish our work. It didn't finish in a day, so I slept at her home. By tomorrow morning I didn't have any option except to wear Dea's dress. You know what? All of her dress was fully covered style, long sleeves, skirts, and wide scarfs. If I wore them it could change my appearance just like her, a religious girl which I was not. Then that exactly happened on that day. 

Picture 1. Our Masjid miniature and I 

I got out from a modern trishaw, carried the Masjid miniature carefully, and carefully looked around whether people recognize my new look. I was uncomfortable when people peeped at me. In the whole day, I got comments from some friends because of it, fortunately, it was all nice hearing. Despite all positive states, it couldn't make me feel good. I know I didn't good enough to wear that dress.

Do you know what does hidayah means? It means guidance from Allah (The Almighty God). In surah 17 Verse 15, Allah said, "Whoever is guided is only guided for [the benefit of] his soul ..." and in surah 43 verse 28, Allah said, "... and He will surely guide me.” 

After I putted off Dea's dress, my feeling turned around when I stood up in front of a mirror the next morning,  I couldn't help but wear the same style of dress. Lately, I knew it was Allah's guidance on me. He replaced the negative feelings I had felt. Since then and forth I love to dress like in picture 1. (Alhamdulillah / Praise be to Allah).

Every Muslimah has its own story of wearing a hijab. When the time comes to her that they realize hijab is not only a material rather it is a commandment from Allah to protect and to distinguish them from other women. Allah said in surah 33 verse 59, "O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful."

At the end of my story, I want to convey my sadness and my disappointment toward an Indian school that bans my sister's right of wearing a hijab. May Allah bless all of my sisters there and bring peace and harmony among the Indian people. Once Dalai Lama who lives as a refugee in India said "India has a great heritage. There is harmony among different religious traditions. India is a land where people of different religious faiths can live peacefully and harmoniously." In addition, Chauhan (2017) writes in her article, in the Indian constitution in its Part III provides endorsement to freedom of religion in India. This freedom is reserved not just for Indian citizens but is also conferred on anyone who resides in India. It becomes amply clear from the words of article 25 which states that “Subject to public order, morality, and health and to the other provisions of this Part, all persons are equally entitled to freedom of conscience and the right freely to profess, practice and propagate religion.”


Reference:

Chauhan, Neha. 2017. Religious Conversion and Freedom of Religion in India: Debates and Dilemmas. Journal of Law, 1(8), 126-136. Retrieved 13 February 2022, from https://ili.ac.in/pdf/paper817.pdf

Comments

  1. It's a great story. I hope this will affect many in a righteous way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do'a dan 🐒 Kurakura

Why Did Prophet Muhammad PBUH married a child (Aisha RA.)?